Red Gate Backup Pro Continued (Part 7)
If you have been keeping score at home, I have been trying to work out the issues of implementing the Red Gate SQL Backup Pro and Virtual Restore. This series may sound like a bunch of complaints, they are not. I am just working through the issues and hoping to help others struggling and hopefully improve the product if possible. If some of these items are easily fixed, I could not find the information easily on their website otherwise I would not have posted it. Or it could be quite possibly that I am just an idiot.
I was able to resolve one issue from yesterday post, the weekly regular SQL Server copy-only backup. By tweaking the HyperBac Configuration Manager settings for the BAK extension and disabling HyperBac compression (see Figure 1) we were able to get default SQL Server backups running once a week in the midst of using SQL Server Backup Pro for our daily backups.
We also noticed a weird error in our SQL Monitor tool when using the Virtual Restore (see Figure 2). The drive is only 300 GB where we store our Virtual Restores. It looks like the Virtual Restores raise a drive space error based upon the “actual” size of the restore instead of the virtual size.
Just in case you are wondering, I compiled my long list of quirks and submitted it to Red Gate support. I am confident that they will be able to help as they have been excellent in the past. Personally, I just like to figure things out before I talk with support, which many probably find as a character flaw. Maybe it is male ego or pride but I like to solve problems without help if at all possible. On the other hand, I am never afraid to ask for help, I just want to make sure I have tried everything before hand. Enjoy.
Posted on December 18, 2012, in Maintenance, Monitoring, Troubleshooting and tagged Backup and Recovery, Maintenance. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment