MAP Toolkit Licensing Continued
Continuing yesterday’s post regarding the licensing issues I discovered using the MAP Toolkit, I was able to resolve the issue without much difficulty. The license was showing in the MAP Toolkit as developer edition. We have volume licensing so I am sure now that wrong installer was selected at the time of install because we do not use keys as they are populated by the installer.
To correct the problem, we ran the installer on the server effected and selected ‘Edition Upgrade’ and selected the media. When prompted for a product key, we had to fool the installer with some trickeration. On a separate VM, we installed SQL Server using our Enterprise media which generated a key code in the box at the same point in the installation. We then typed that key into our real installation and proceeded with the ‘Edition Update’ thus allowing the installer to realize that we were licensed for a different version. This successfully updated our edition to Enterprise as this was the license purchased for this server.
However, after stopping and restarting SQL Server to get the new version to register we noticed that the SQL Agent was failing with no errors noted in the SQL error log or the Agent log. We ran the ‘Repair’ from the installation center (shown in figure 1) to make sure that there was no corruption with the previous edition. That did not resolve the problem. When running the agent from the command line we got a different error that pointed us to the login being incorrect. Somehow running the Edition Update locked out the AD account which is used only by this service on this server so a user could not have been to blame (or should not be able to). Once unlocking that account, SQL Server Enterprise Edition was running smoothly! Enjoy!
Posted on December 13, 2012, in Installation, Maintenance, Troubleshooting, Upgrading and tagged Installation, Maintenance, MAP Toolkit, SQL Server 2008. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment