Thinking today about a new area to cover on this site and I thought dynamic management views (or DMVs) was a good area to cover next. I was looking at some documentation today for some DMVs and I realized that there is an easy way to think about them and their function.
- sys.dm_exec_* These provide information about sessions, connections, query executions and requests.
- sys.dm_os_* These provide information on OS related information
- sys.dm_io_* These provide input/output process information
- sys.dm_tran_* These provide transaction information
- sys.dm_db_* These provide database information
Enjoy and stay tune for more DMV information.