Personal Development Plan Part Dos….
Having posted yesterday about my Personal Development Plan, I read a blog post from Neil Hambly regarding his 2012 goals. Now, I realize that my goals were somewhat vague and easy to worm out of. Here are the goals that I had mentioned yesterday:
- I want to dedicate time everyday to this blog and giving back to the SQL community that has helped me so much over the years.
- I want to continue to dedicate time to the SQL community in social media.
- I want to attend at least ten events this year consisting of SQL Saturdays, training, code camps, and possible SQL Rally and/or SQL PASS.
Let’s revise those goals to the following:
- I will post daily to this blog in order to give back to the SQL community that has helped me so much over the years.
- I will spend time daily helping people on twitter, SQL blogs, and various SQL-related websites such as SQL Server Central.
- I am setting a goal of 300 followers on Twitter which would double my existing followers for 2011.
- I will attend at least ten of the twelve Tampa Bay SQL Server User Group meetings.
- I will atend three to five other SQL User group meetings, such as the Tampa BI group or Orlando’s MagicPASS.
- I will attend every Tampa VMWare User Group meetings which occur quarterly.
- I will attend other events that interface with SQL Server or VMWare such as the Orlando IT Pro Camp scheduled for January 21, 2012.
- I will attend one Microsoft SQL training course this year, but I cannot say at this time what that course will be as that will depend upon my employer ;-). I would like to attend Course 2778a (Writing Queries Using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Transact-SQL) and Course 6234 (Implementing and Maintaining Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services.
- I will attend every SQL Saturday offered in the Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville areas. I would also like to attend some others, if possible, within driving distance. I am already registered for SQL Saturday #110 in Tampa on March 10, 2012.
- I will volunteer to help with at least one SQL Saturday this year.
- I would like to attend SQL Rally in Dallas this year and I would definitely like to attend the SQL PASS Summit, but with one child in college this year and two more entering over the next two years, I may have to pass on this one for a couple of years until they are situated and my bank account returns to normal.
- I will continue to take at least one to two classes a semester online in order to complete my degree in Business Administration. All those Engineering and Computer Science classes I took 20 years ago are not relevant today and I would like to possibly return to consulting in five or ten years and that degree would be more beneficial in that long term goal.
- I will continue SQLAndy’s recommendation to meet at least three people at every SQL event. This is a great recommendation for networking. It is hard sometimes to break out of our introverted ways.
- I will attain my VMWare Certified Professional 4 certificate this year for VMWare.
- I would like to speak somewhere this year, my local SSUG, VMUG, or even a training session at work. I need to get over my fear of public speaking. 2012 is the year to step it up and take it to another level.
I think this is an adequate list on my second day of contemplation, but I will review this over the next week or so to decide if it is exhaustive. Stay tuned and enjoy!
Posted on January 2, 2012, in Career Advice, Goals, Personal Development Plan, SQL Saturday, Training and tagged Goals, happy new year, Magic PASS, SQL Pass, Tampa, Tampa Bay SQL Server Users Group. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.